Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 3 - Ruined

SCRIPTURE: Isaiah 6:5 – “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

COMMENTARY: Here Isaiah seems to identify his sin as “unclean lips”. Here is a man whose job it was to proclaim the Lord’s words to the people of Israel. Did he also tell dirty jokes and gossip? I doubt it, but what Isaiah knows here is what Jesus brought out when he said, “out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks”. Our words reveal our hearts. When someone bumps you, wrongs you, hurts you what spills out from the inside? Faced with the presence of a holy God, Isaiah was laid bare, exposed and ruined.

As you seek God’s face in this time leading up to Easter, you will be bumped and prodded. What will spill out from your innermost being? May we be so filled up on Christ and his love that when we are bumped in the coming days we would spill Jesus on those around us. To be at that point, we need to admit our unclean hearts, ask Christ for new hearts and obey his commands to us each day.

REFLECTION: Have you ever felt “ruined” like Isaiah did? If you have, remember the experience. If not, do you want that kind of experience? Why or why not? What are some results of being ruined and then healed?

No comments:

Post a Comment