Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 5 - First, let me go . . .

SCRIPTURE: Matthew 8:19-22 – Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” Jesus replied, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

COMMENTARY: Our struggle with excuses is that all of them can be made to sound reasonable. What are you rationalizing in your life? Here are a few I hear too often (and use personally):

I’m only going to do it this one time.

Nobody will notice.

It doesn’t harm anyone.

Those rules were for an ancient people living in ancient times.

If I follow God’s rule for my life too closely, people might think I am some kind of radical or fanatic.

I don’t have the time.

REFLECTION: Can you come up with some other excuses people use for not doing what Jesus asks of us? What are your most common excuses? Ponder this statement: When I choose to disobey, I break God’s heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment